[Insight-developers] Gaussian filter performance

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen@crd.ge.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 10:43:29 -0400

DiscreteGaussian should be pretty much constant time.
RecursiveGaussian only runs on on e axis I believe.
Be careful of the vtk Gaussian. You need to adjust the radius as the kernel
gets bigger.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Yushkevich [mailto:pauly@cognitica.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 10:16 AM
To: insight-developers@public.kitware.com
Subject: [Insight-developers] Gaussian filter performance

I have been trying to choose an appropriate Gaussian blurring filter to
use in the SnAP project.  While doing so, I tried to compare the
performance of three candidates from ITK and VTK on a sample image.  The
candidates were itk::DiscreteGaussianImageFilter,
itk::RecursiveGaussianImageFilter and vtkImageGaussianSmooth .  I ran
the filters with default parameters, only changing the standard deviation.

Perhaps the result is useful to others, so I post it here.  For one
thing, it shows that the recursive gaussian filter seems to perform
better on even very small sigmas.  What is the error of the recursive
filter w.r.t to the true solution for subpixel values of sigma?

The times listed below are for VC6 Release program running on a
two-month old machine.

Loaded image     : image01.mha
Image size       : 7109137 bytes
Image dimensions : 181 x 217 x 181