[Insight-developers] Gaussian filter performance

Ken Martin ken.martin@kitware.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 10:34:50 -0400

The RadiusFactors in VTK (or tail or quality etc) are a critical factor
in the timing of a Gaussian. The actual kernel size in VTK is
std_dev*rad_factor*2 + 1 Adjusting the radius_factor will significantly
modify the timings. VTK defaults to a fairly rough 1.5 radius factor
(meaning the Gaussian is reduced to zero beyond 1.5 standard deviations)
It would be interesting to see what timings result with all three
filters using the same kernel size. Also interesting to see if they
produce the same result...

Ken

> I have been trying to choose an appropriate Gaussian blurring filter
> use in the SnAP project.  While doing so, I tried to compare the
> performance of three candidates from ITK and VTK on a sample image.
The