[Insight-developers] Progress behaviour

Kurt Augustine augustine . kurt at mayo . edu
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:08:28 -0500

Bill,
For the case of iterative filters, here's a thought, how about 1 - 1/n,
where n is the number of iterations completed.  Of coarse this will quickly
approach the "clamping model" when the number of iterations gets large so
you could condition it with your "best guess" value by raising the value to
the power of the log of your guess.  i.e. (1-1/n)^log(m), were n is the
number of iterations completed and m is the "best guess" max number of
iterations.  Actually, I think the natural log (ln) would be better here
than log: (1-1/n)^ln(m).
I believe this model will keep the progress below 1, avoids quick jumps to
the end, and reduces clamping.  If you provide a means for canceling at the
end of every iteration, this may be all you need for proper progress
functioning.  I can't say I gave this model a thorough investigation (not
really sure what our n values and m values are in reality) so I could be way
off but the numbers could be tweaked to give a better model.

If this doesn't look viable, I would prefer wrapping over clamping.

Just a thought ... Kurt