[Insight-developers] gcc 3.3.1 causing problems with itk::FEM LinearSystemWrapperItpack

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd . ge . com
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:00:01 -0400

Sounds like the code should be fixed. Have you tried your changes locally?
If they work, send Brad the changes.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Williams [mailto:norman-k-williams at uiowa . edu]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 11:37 AM
To: Insight Developers List; hans johnson
Subject: [Insight-developers] gcc 3.3.1 causing problems with
itk::FEMLinearSystemWrapperItpack

I know that people are busy with the whole lockdown thing, but ...

I recently built gcc 3.3.1 on Linux, and it is having some problems with
itkFEMLinearSystemWrapperItpack.cxx, specifically with initializing the
m_Methods member data.  The compiler error is

.../Insight/Code/Numerics/FEM/itkFEMLinearSystemWrapperItpack.cxx:36: error:

invalid
   conversion from `int (*)(integer*, integer*, integer*, doublereal*,
   doublereal*, doublereal*, integer*, integer*, doublereal*, integer*,
   doublereal*, integer*)' to `int (*)(int*, int*, int*, double*, double*,
   double*, int*, int*, double*, int*, double*, int*)'

I think I know what's going on -- in the latest revision, the f2c typedefs
for
integer and doublereal were copied from f2c.h into
itkFEMLinearSystemWrapperItPack, so that f2c.h is only included in the .cxx
file, and not the .h file.

A laudible goal, but apparently gcc 3.3.1 thinks the typedefs inside the
itk::LinearSystemWrapperItpack define a different type than the typedefs in
f2c.h, so the function signatures don't match.

So is the solution to NOT use gcc 3.3.1, or is there a better way to handle
the type issues?