[Insight-developers] Intermittent crashes on Solaris and Mac

Lorensen, William E (Research) lorensen at crd . ge . com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:58:31 -0400

Still does not explain why the heap was corrupted.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Hoffman [mailto:bill.hoffman@kitware.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 8:52 AM
To: Bill Lorensen; insight-developers@public.kitware.com
Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] Intermittent crashes on Solaris and
Mac

Brad just pointed out that it is not a compiler bug.

Code like this is not valid c++:

    OutputComponentType val = static_cast<OutputComponentType>(
      0.2125 * static_cast<OutputComponentType>(*inputData++) +
      0.7154 * static_cast<OutputComponentType>(*inputData++) +
      0.0721 * static_cast<OutputComponentType>(*inputData++)   );

The compiler can do the increments in any order as long as it is before the semi-colon.  The order
does not need to be preserved.

-Bill

At 10:28 AM 8/31/2002 -0400, Bill Lorensen wrote:
>I think we've fixed the intermittent crash problem that was occurring in some tests that used
readers.

>The problem was in IO/itkConvertPixelBuffer::ConvertRGBToGray. I think it must be a compiler error.
I rewrote the input buffer access and the problem is gone on the Solaris system. We'll see how the
Mac does the next time an experimental is submitted.

>For some reason, this routine was trashing the heap and programs would subsequently crash somewhere
unrelated. It took a while to find but Jim and I isolated the problem to one statement in the method.
Once it was rewritten, the problem went away. I have rewritten all similar code in that file but have
not checked it in yet.