[Insight-developers] [Fwd: Re: [Insight-users] Beginning installation question]

Mark Foskey mark_foskey@unc.edu
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:19:43 -0500

I have been arguing that we should have a more explicit README, giving
exactly the default directory to unpack cmake into.  What do people think?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Insight-users] Beginning installation question
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:09:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Bill Oliver <billo@Radix.Net>
To: Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez@kitware.com>
CC: insight-users@public.kitware.com

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Luis Ibanez wrote:

 > From: Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez@kitware.com>
 >

 > Hi Bill,
 >
 > A lateral comment first:
 >
 >   are you doing this intallation while
 >   being logged as "root" ?
 >   It may be better to be logged as a normal user...
 >   This should not be the source of the error though.

Normally I do, but I tend to install system-wide packages
as root.  I have had problems with installation scripts
into /usr/local, etc. when logged in as billo.

 > It looks like you created a subdirectory on the
 > top directory of the Insight source tree and tried
 > to use it as a binary dir.

Nope.  I just found the error -- it turns out that I had
installed cmake wrong.  I had installed the cmake files
in /usr/local/cmake, and when I ran cmake, it couldn't
find the stuff in /usr/local/cmake/share.  I moved
the /usr/local/cmake/bin files to /usr/local/bin and
the /usr/local/cmake/share stuff to /usr/local/share,
and it seems to be chugging along right now.

Thanks for your help!

billo