[Insight-developers] Renaming CVS ",v" files

Brad King brad . king at kitware . com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:52:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, all:

Recently we had a problem on the 0.7 Beta branch build that was caused
without anyone checking in any code on the branch.  I found that the
problem was caused by someone having renamed a file directly on the CVS
server side database.  This approach cannot work because it bypasses CVS's
mechanisms for maintaining branch number information.

It is possible to rename the ",v" file on the server safely, but one must
be very careful. We have to copy the file to the new name, and then "cvs
remove" the file with the old name.  To be very strict, one should also
check out a copy of the NEW file on each branch containing the old file,
and cvs remove it from that branch.

If anyone needs a file re-named in the repository, but wants to keep the
revision history, please email the list with the request.

Thanks,
-Brad