[Insight-developers] Blox Images

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:37:17 -0500

> The remaining operations one performs on a core atom image, eigenanalysis
> and voting, modify ivars of CoreAtomPixels - you don't get a "new" image as
> a result, so I'm uncomfortable implementing these as filters. If you did,
> you'd either:

If CoreAtomPixels are "pixels" in a BloxImage, then an operation that modifies
ivars of CoreAtomPixels are creating a "new" image (the output CoreAtomPixels are
different from the input CoreAtomPixels).

I don't know enough about the "voting" operation and "eigenanalysis" operations
on BloxImages to say whether these operations produce "new" images or not (and
hence whether they are filters or not).

But if "voting" reduces the number of CoreAtoms in a BloxImage by removing
inconsistent atoms, then it does produce a new image.

If "eigenanalysis" creates a series of "measurements" from a BloxImage, then again
I would say it is a filter.  It may not produce another BloxImage, it may not produce
an image at all.  But it does take an input image and calculate (or recalculate)
a series of measurements.  Maybe these operations are more "calculators" but I would
push for people to think of these operations as "filters".