[Insight-developers] Re: MR Segmentation

Stephen R. Aylward aylward@unc.edu
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 12:08:01 -0500

Hi Nils,

I think I misunderstood your problem - you don't want just the bones -
you want everything in the pelvic area. Right?  Sorry for the confusion.

Watershed is a great approach for this.   Fuzzy connectedness should
also be considered.   It is a hard problem, though.   This is one
application that really needs a user interface/visualization in order to
evaluate, control, and edit the segmentation process.   Stay tuned for
itk2 :)

As you go along, if you have suggestions for how we can better group the
methods, summarize their utility, etc, we would really appreciate it.
One thing, this year is going to focus on documenting the application of
itk to a variety of different medical image analysis tasks (as part of
method validation), and so the examples section is going to greatly
expand and perhaps that will help others in your position in the future.
Until then....

Thanks for your patience,
Stephen