[Insight-developers] Topics for February developer meeting...

Will Schroeder will.schroeder@kitware.com
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:33:36 -0500

Hi Folks-

As we began discussing on last weeks TCON, I'd like to see a series of
presentations on various aspects of ITK. The purpose is to help us all
learn what's going on, but also to think about refactoring the software for
simplicity, consistency, flexibility, and ease of use.  Another thing to
keep in mind is to come up with a short list of modifications that we can
fit in prior to the October end date. Here are some topics that I'm
thinking of, some of which have been suggested by the folks at GE CRD. I've
also put some names against the topics. Can we refine this, and find a way
to fit it in the meeting, over the next couple of weeks prior to the
developer meeting?

+ Beta release (Terry Yoo)
	- advertising
	- feedback download form opt-in for itk feedback form

+ Removing template parameters (Will S./Bill H./Jim M./Bill L.)
	- traits
	- dimension

+ Templating process objects (Jim M.)
	- Reduce number? allow user to control output type?

+ mutex lock on light object (Jim M.)
	- performance issues

+ stdlib SGI thing (Bill L.)
	- include OS/Compiler patches in the distribution

+ pipeline update mechanism (Ross/Josh - their experience and thoughts)
	- LightDataObject/LightProcessObject (Stephen)
	- Redesign discussion (Luis Ibanez)

+ Spatial function hierarchy (Damion)

+ BLOX image relationship to pipeline (Damion)

+ Exception hierarchy / Error Handling (Bill H.)
	- relationship to ErrorMacro()
	- Adding additional events / event handling
	- Warning event, error event, relationship to exceptions

+ Calculations in filters: using RealType<T> in numeric traits (Will S.)

+ Extending Pixel traits (Jim M.)
	- Zero value
	- distinguishing simple vs. complex pixels

+ Adding concept checking (Lydia)

+ Segmentation framework (???)

+ Image Metrics (Luis, Brian, Lydia)

+ Image API
	- why no SetDimensions() ?
	- other awkwardness?

+ ImageIO (Bill H.)
	- how it works
	- what needs to be done

+ Missing functionality (Vikram / Dimitri / Celina)
	- what needs to be added

+ FEM stuff (Jim Gee)

Will