[Insight-developers] CMake Linux binary instructions

Mark Foskey foskey at cs . unc . edu
Mon, 05 Aug 2002 17:28:46 -0400

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Actually, you can untar the file in any directory and cmake will work.

When I was installing it, I wanted things to go in their most
common/standard locations, if possible.  That seemed likely to minimize
later problems, and I think other users will feel the same way.

There may not be a good automatic installation process.

> Would changing the README help?

I think so.  Perhaps something like this:

CMake 1.4 binary for x86-linux-static

Extract the file "cmake-1.4-x86-linux-static.tar" into your destination
directory, typically /usr/local.  Example:

cd /usr/local
tar -xvf cmake-1.14-x86-linux-static.tar

To install in /usr/local, you need to be root.  If you do not have root
privileges you can install in, e.g., your home directory.  Just make
sure the resulting 'bin' directory is in your path.

The following files will be extracted.  The directories 'bin' and
'share' will
be created if necessary.

bin/cmake