[Insight-developers] Neighborhoods and filter output types

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:38:01 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C157D1.B9358B80

I'm not sure that the right thing to do here.  One the one hand,  using the chain rule is should be
pretty easy to convert the derivative calculated in parametric (index) space into a derivative in
physical space.  I imagine it is actually easier to do this rather than build the derivative kernel
to account for the spacing.  Filters like the DerivativeImageFilter, GradientImageFilter, etc could
do this conversion automatically and leave the DerivativeOperator as calculating the derivative in
parametric space. On the other hand, will people "forget" to do this conversion.

I imagine the same issue of spacing exists in the GaussianOperator (and hence the
DiscreteGaussianImageFilter).

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Cates [ mailto:cates@cs.utah.edu <mailto:cates@cs.utah.edu> ]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 2:21 PM
To: Miller, James V (CRD)
Cc: Insight-developers (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] Neighborhoods and filter output types

Hi Jim,

> DerivativeOperator
>
> Should the derivative operator take into account the spacing of the data?  Or should the derivative
> just be in parametric space and whomever uses the derivative operator (like the
> DerivativeImageFilter) must decide to convert the values to physical space.  I can go either way on
> this one.

Ross and I have talked about making the conversion to use the spacing of
the data.  I won't have time to do this any time in the near future, but
if people generally agree this is a good idea, then I'll get to it
eventually.

Josh.

____________________________
 Josh Cates
 School of Computer Science
 University of Utah
 Email: cates@cs.utah.edu
 Phone: (801) 587-7697

------_=_NextPart_001_01C157D1.B9358B80

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<TITLE></TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT size=2>I'm not sure that the right thing to do here.&nbsp; One the one
hand,&nbsp;&nbsp;using the chain rule is should be pretty easy to convert the
derivative calculated in parametric (index) space into a derivative in physical
space.&nbsp;&nbsp;I imagine it is actually easier to&nbsp;do this&nbsp;rather
than build the derivative kernel to account for the spacing.&nbsp; Filters like
the DerivativeImageFilter, GradientImageFilter, etc could&nbsp;do this
conversion automatically and leave the&nbsp;DerivativeOperator as calculating
the derivative in parametric space. On the other hand, will people "forget" to
do this conversion.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT color=#0000ff size=2>I imagine the same issue of spacing exists in the
GaussianOperator (and hence the DiscreteGaussianImageFilter).</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff></FONT><BR><BR>-----Original
Message-----<BR>From: Joshua Cates [<A
href="mailto:cates@cs.utah.edu">mailto:cates@cs.utah.edu</A>]<BR>Sent:
Wednesday, October 17, 2001 2:21 PM<BR>To: Miller, James V (CRD)<BR>Cc:
Insight-developers (E-mail)<BR>Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] Neighborhoods
and filter output types<BR><BR><BR><BR>Hi Jim,<BR><BR>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>&gt;
DerivativeOperator<BR>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>&gt; Should the derivative operator take
into account the spacing of the data?&nbsp; Or should the derivative<BR>&gt;
just be in parametric space and whomever uses the derivative operator (like
the<BR>&gt; DerivativeImageFilter) must decide to convert the values to physical
space.&nbsp; I can go either way on<BR>&gt; this one.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;<BR><BR>Ross
and I have talked about making the conversion to use the spacing of<BR>the
data.&nbsp; I won't have time to do this any time in the near future, but<BR>if
people generally agree this is a good idea, then I'll get to
it<BR>eventually.<BR><BR>Josh.<BR><BR><BR>____________________________<BR>&nbsp;Josh
Cates&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;School of Computer
Science&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;University of Utah<BR>&nbsp;Email:
cates@cs.utah.edu<BR>&nbsp;Phone: (801) 587-7697<BR>&nbsp;URL:&nbsp;&nbsp;
www.cs.utk.edu/~cates<BR></P></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C157D1.B9358B80--