[Insight-developers] Dart changes

Blezek, Daniel J (CRD) blezek@crd.ge.com
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:18:36 -0400

Hi all,

  Recently, Jim Miller and I added some new features to Dart to help out with run-away tests.  Now
tests that get into an infinite loop, or hang for some other reason will be killed after a timeout
period(defaulting to 25 minutes).  This will help my poor machine not have 10 jobs running each
Monday morning from the weekend's testing of Insight.  This also has some great side benefit:s we
implemented wall time tracking across the board, a status message about the completion of the job is
now captured, and writing to standard error no longer indicates test failure(but we could put that
back in).  I think the changes have helped make Dart a much more useful tool.

  If you are currently using Dart, please update to the latest source code from the repository.  Note
that the changes are completely backwards compatable, and you old Dart checkout will still function.
No changes are neccessary to your DartConfiguration.tcl file, unless you would like to change the
timeout interval.  This can be done like this(changing DartConfiguration.tcl):

# TimeOut is the amount of time in seconds to wait for processes
# to complete during testing.  After TimeOut seconds, the
# process will be summaily terminated.
# Currently set to 25 minutes
set TimeOut [expr 60 * 25]

As always, comments are welcomed,