[Insight-developers] Renaming frenzy

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:18:34 -0500

I'm assuming that you are saying that it is not a metric in the strict mathematical sense of
one-to-one, if a > b, ax > bx, etc....

I tend to call anything that takes a "measurement" a "metric" (though this is not always
appropriate). So a term like Calculator, Estimator, or Measurement is probably more appropriate.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hughett [mailto:hughett@mercur.uphs.upenn.edu]
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 1:51 PM
To: will.schroeder@kitware.com
Cc: insight-developers@public.kitware.com
Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] Renaming frenzy

> ImageMoments -> ImageMomentMetric

This class does not compute any sort of metric, so it should not be
called a Metric.  I suggest ImageMomentCalculator instead.  By
analogy, you would than also have ImageHistogramCalculator,
ImageFourierTransformCalculator, etc.

> (should be process object)

You could be right.  Is there any documentation that explains how to
construct and use process objects?  I find the code and comments in
itkProcessObject.* rather obscure.

Paul Hughett