[Insight-developers] Location of non-Common test programs?

Parag Chandra chandra@cs.unc.edu
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:39:57 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01B4_01C086E5.11ED6FE0

Hi,
What is our policy for test programs that do not specifically test =
portions of the base ITK classes (those that will eventually comprise =
the final release)? For instance, I have written a small app to test the =
functionality of my FileIO classes, which are a part of ITKCommon, but =
in order to do anything useful like reading a file, the test must make =
use of FileIO subclasses (FileIOMetaImage), which are not part of =
ITKCommon. This raises a number of questions in my mind:

1) Should this kind of test program be checked into the repository at =
all? I think that at least it serves to illustrate how to use these =
classes.

2) If so, where in the directory structure should it be placed? Perhaps =
we can create a separate ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/Code/Interfaces or Contrib =
directory? I currently have it in Code/Common, but since (for the time =
being) I am using static linkage, this has the unwanted side effect of =
forcing all test programs in that directory to link in MetaImageIO.lib. =
Is there CMake syntax that will allow me to specify which targets in a =
directory need this library?

3) In this particular case, the test program has to make use of external =
image files for reading and writing. Where should these be stored?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-Parag Chandra

------=_NextPart_000_01B4_01C086E5.11ED6FE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What is our policy for test programs =
that do not=20
specifically test portions of the base ITK classes (those that will =
eventually=20
comprise the final release)? For instance, I have written a small app to =
test=20
the functionality of my FileIO classes, which are a part of ITKCommon, =
but in=20
order to do anything useful like reading a file, the test must make use =
of=20
FileIO subclasses (FileIOMetaImage), which are not part of ITKCommon. =
This=20
raises a number of questions in my mind:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) Should this kind of test program be =
checked into=20
the repository at all? I think that at least it serves&nbsp;to=20
illustrate&nbsp;how to use these classes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) If so, where in the directory =
structure should=20
it be placed? Perhaps we can create a separate=20
${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/Code/Interfaces or Contrib directory? I currently =
have it in=20
Code/Common, but since (for the time being) I am using static linkage, =
this has=20
the unwanted side effect of forcing all test programs in that directory =
to link=20
in MetaImageIO.lib. Is there CMake syntax that will allow me to specify =
which=20
targets in a directory need this library?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3) In this particular case, the test =
program has to=20
make use of external image files for reading and writing. Where should =
these be=20
stored?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance for your=20
suggestions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Parag =
Chandra</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_01B4_01C086E5.11ED6FE0--