[Insight-developers] FEM code updated

Luis Ibanez ibanez@choroid.cs.unc.edu
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:48:04 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Aljaz Noe wrote:

> a) Do files in an example need an itk prefix too? Not all examples follow
> that rule...

-------------------------------------

Hi,

In principle Examples don't need to have the itk prefix,
There are some implications about using the prefix,
here are two of them:

1) disadvantage:

   It may look as the classes in the examples
   are integral part of the toolkit, which
   can confuse users.

2) advantage:

   In order to define dependencies (in cmake.depend)
   CMake is restricting to consider .h files with
   the prefixes: vtk,itk,vnl among others.
   That prevents your dependencies from including
   all the system headers (which would be an overkill).
   Right now, header files with different prefixes are
   not being included in the dependencies used by
   Makefiles.

----

It could be good that "Examples" are as close as possible to
the 'first application' a user can write.
In practice we could anticipate that the first attempt of any
user for creating an application would be to take one of the
examples and start modifying code on it in order to get familiar
with itk arquitecture.

To summarize:

1) It's good if we can avoid to use the
   itk prefix on the examples.

2) It would be interesting to do something in CMake in order
   to ensure that the header files sitting on particular
   directories are consiered for dependencies regardless of what
   their prefix could be. Maybe adding an exceptional rule to
   the regular expression used now for selecting headers could
   help on this.

  Luis