Revisiting naming conventions

Ross Whitaker whitaker at rolle.engr.utk.edu
Mon Apr 17 19:03:10 EDT 2000

******************

The question:

"The STL naming convention is different from ours.  Should we adopt it instead?"

******************

My first thoughts:

Suppose we do.  Then suppose we adopt yet another external library---such as a matrix library.  Suppose
it has another naming convention.  Do we adopt it?   What if they conflict?  Then it's impossible.

It seems we should either:

    1)  Live with different naming conventions for borrowed libraries.
    2)  Subclass heavily used libraries/objects and make them use our naming convention.

The first one seems cleaner/easier.

Regards,

Ross