[Imstk-developers] Copying Vega data

Alexis Girault alexis.girault at kitware.com
Fri Oct 21 11:03:46 EDT 2016

Here is how VTK offered to improve mapping volumetric meshes or just data
arrays: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/InSituDataStructures

The MappedDataArray (that we tried to use and that Nich got rid of because
of huge overhead cost when calling getVoidPointer in the VBO creation) is
actually deprecated and will be removed in the future. The next iteration
of this functionality which focuses on performance improvements is
presented in this article
https://blog.kitware.com/new-data-array-layouts-in-vtk-7-1/ and detailed on
this wiki page: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Tutorials/DataArrays

If we can improve the renderer and mapper to do what's needed, I believe
we'll be able to use this new data array layouts to reduce data structure
conversion overhead.

Alexis Girault
R&D Engineer in Medical Computing
Kitware, Inc.