[IGSTK-Users] Polaris hybrid spectra and OpenIGTLinkTrackingBroadcasting

j.nijkamp at nki.nl j.nijkamp at nki.nl
Wed Feb 26 03:54:47 EST 2014

Hi Ziv and others,

Thanks for the fast response.

(a) Make sure that the xml file has the correct COM port number (IGSTK starts at zero).
  If I put the wrong comport number the program actually tells me, so that seems to be okay.
(b) Modify the code so that it only goes through the code associated with the Polaris hybrid in the file OpenIGTLinkTrackerBroadcaster.cxx, the function is GetTrackerConfiguration():
  It nicely finds the polaris hybrid tracker as configuration

I ran the program in the debugger and below you find where it goes wrong.
In OpenIGTLinkTrackingBroadcaster.cxx in
OpenIGTLinkTrackingBroadcaster::OpenIGTLinkTrackingBroadcaster(
std::string &trackerXMLConfigurationFileName ) throw ( ExceptionWithMessage )
{
  igstk::OpenIGTLinkTrackerConfigurationFileReader::
    OpenIGTLinkConfigurationDataType
                    //if there is an error reading a recognized tracker's
                    //configuration an exception is thrown , otherwise the method
                    //returns NULL
    *oigtLinkTrackerConfiguration =
     GetTrackerConfiguration( trackerXMLConfigurationFileName );
  if( !oigtLinkTrackerConfiguration )
    {
    throw ExceptionWithMessage( std::string( "Unknown tracker type." ) );
    }
  //initialize the tracker controller, and setup the observers
  this->m_TrackerController =
    igstk::TrackerController::New();

  InitializeErrorObserver::Pointer ieo =
    InitializeErrorObserver::New();
  this->m_TrackerController->AddObserver(
    igstk::TrackerController::InitializeErrorEvent(), ieo );
  this->m_TrackerController->RequestInitialize(
    oigtLinkTrackerConfiguration->m_TrackerConfiguration );
  if( ieo->GotInitializeError() )
    {
    throw ExceptionWithMessage( ieo->GetInitializeError() );
    }
Etc
}

It runs fine and starts the Polaris tracker, but then it exits with the GotInitializeError with showing an empty messagebox.
So for me it seems that my xml file has some settings which are incorrect.

In the example polarisHybridConfiguration.xml there is no <send_to> tag defined for the probes, which in invalid for the trackingbroadcaster.
So that one seems to be invalid anyway.

Any further clues or information needed?

Jasper