[IGSTK-Users] Build a custom tracker in IGSTK

chamara jayalath jaya.chamara at gmail.com
Mon May 17 00:57:09 EDT 2010

Thank you for the reply and I will tell you what we are doing in more
detail.

Our project is to develop an intra-operative  navigator equipment that can
be used for nuro surgery. For this purpose we are building our own optical
tracking system -using stereo vision techniques- and we want to use this
with IGSTK navigator application. Now we can acquire the coordinates of the
reference and surgical tool in a different thread in C++ which is developed
with the use of OpenCV and our objective is to use these tow coordinates to
register and tack the surgical seen. As we have only two weeks to the 1st
demonstration of the project we need some quick help very badly. The most
important thing to note here is that we are communicating with the cameras
in OpenCV. According to our understanding the tracker independent
development procedure used with the "Navigator" application should allow us
to make use of our tracking system with the "tracker controller" class.

We have some major problems which are listed below,

1. How can we wrap our own tracker software with the IGSTK tracker class. (
We use software to find the positions of the tools relative to the cameras,
which is not the case in most of the commercial position sensing equipments.
We handle our own communication and the final out put of the code is the 3D
coordinates of the two tools.)

2. How to combine our tracker class (once we come up with a IGSTK wrapped
tracker class for the previous matter) to the navigator application via the
tracker controller.
Since our application is highly specific we want to get rid of most of the
redundancies in the "tracker controller" and "tracker configuration"
classes.

3. And also we feel that we can just eliminate the Tracker Configuration
part and proceed to do the registration and transformation and then the
tracking in Navigator.cxx class itself. But we can't predict the accuracy
and reliability at the run time.

Above are the reasons that we are expecting a help from you as this is very
critical application.

We find the IGSTK class library very helpful in our project but we have to
mention that the technical documentation is highly inadequate regarding our
application. We would be thankful to you if you can give us what ever the
assistance you can at your earliest convenience since we have only 3 months
duration.

And to mention we are newbies to the IGSTK and the C++ knowledge is good but
not to the expert level and this is the first time that we are doing a
software implementation of this scale even though we have done average
software implementation.

We are using GigE cameras and if it is easy to communicate, rectify, get
coordinates from the cameras in the IGSTK workspace than using openCV and
then use the coordinate extracted form that in IGSTK please explain us how
to do this.