[IGSTK-Users] real-time intra-operative 3D ultrasound research project

Tony Turner acturner01 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 14:19:34 EDT 2009

Greetings;

I am looking for a bit of guidance regarding 3D ultrasound support within
IGSTK/VTK/VTKEdge/ITK's open source software.

working on. I have a budget for purchasing the US equipment, and developer
time alloted to the US specific tasks.

My questions are these:
1) Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who already produces the
US equipment as described below?

2) Does IGSTK/VTK/ITK/VTKEdge already contain the base US functionality to
allow me to build a demo of : ( in ~ 2 man months additional dev effort ):
      a) a real-time 3D dataset from the US hardware from item #1 ? ( assume
US hardware calibration is a separate project )
      b) 2D orthogonal slices from the 3D dataset from item #2a ? ( simple
real-time display, no registering with CT/MR, etc. )
      c) simple 4-up display, 3 orthogonal 2D slices, & one 3D image, all
real-time ( I'm assuming we'd use VTKEdge, and CUDA here..)

3) For the parts of item #2 above that are 'yes', can you point me in the
direction of others who are already active in these areas, so I might
collaborate with them, as the project evolves?

Details:
The sofware/hardware platform for the project is:
IGSTK / VTK / VTKEdge / ITK / 3DSlicer, open source
Desktop CPU
AMD Athlon X2 4200 Dual core
Ubuntu 9.04 ( latest greatest )
NVIDIA 9500 GT GPU ( CUDA compliant ).