[IGSTK-Users] Error handling in igstk applications

Torleif Sandnes Torleif.Sandnes at sintef.no
Tue Jun 26 03:57:43 EDT 2007

Hi.

I am building an application that has to read Dicom images and want
to listen for all error events that the imagereader can send. Based
on the error, I want to provide a message to the user describing the
error.

Using igstkEventTransductionMacro, I could add a state to my
imagereader component for every errorevent from igstk::DicomImageReader:

    DICOMInvalidRequestErrorEvent
    DICOMImageDirectoryEmptyErrorEvent
    DICOMImageDirectoryDoesNotExistErrorEvent
    DICOMImageDirectoryIsNotDirectoryErrorEvent
    DICOMImageDirectoryDoesNotHaveEnoughFilesErrorEvent
    DICOMImageSeriesFileNamesGeneratingErrorEvent
    DICOMImageReadingErrorEvent

This would introduce seven new states and (at least) seven new
transitions. All I want to do with these events is to convert it into
a message to the user, so each transition's processing method would
do essentially the same thing. This seems to be adding a lot of
complexity to my statemachine to accomplish just a little.

Ideally, I would like to add only one "imagereading failed" state to
my component and be able to differentiate between the events. Is this
possible?

Regards,
Torleif Sandnes
Sintef Health Research