[IGSTK-Users] Get dimensions from igstkImageSpatialObject

Torleif Sandnes torleif.sandnes at sintef.no
Fri Aug 17 09:01:33 EDT 2007

Thanks for your reply.

> If you are doing volume rendering, that functionality will presumably
> be implemented in an igstk::ImageSpatialObjectRepresentation class.

Well, I will probably have to inherit from igstkSpatialObject and
mirror some functionality from ImageSpatialObject. None of the
methods in igstkImageSpatialObject is virtual.

>    Inside this class, you can have access to the vtkImageData.
>
> We should not expose image information outside of IGSTK components.

AFAICS, RequestGetItkImage() and RequestGetVtkImage() is public in
igstkimageSpatialObject.
(http://public.kitware.com/IGSTK/NightlyDoc/
classigstk_1_1ImageSpatialObject.html)
So, I would probably be able to do this outside of IGSTK if I really
wanted to?

> Do you have your volume rendering class in the IGSTK Sandbox ?
No, I am just using a modified version of the
igstkImageSpatialObjectVolumeRepresentation from the DeckOfCardRobot
example.

> We could guide you on how to gain access to the vtkImageData,
> and still remain inside the IGSTK walls. The process should be
> very similar (if not identical) to what is done in the file
>
>    igstkImageSpatialObjectRepresentation.txx

True, I had a look and I think I should be able to get access to what
I wanted.

Btw, looking through the igstkImageSpatialObjectRepresentation class,
I see that all images are converted to unsigned char because of a
restriction in vtkImageActor. Next, a vtkImageMapToColors is used to
set window width and level. Could it be something here that results
in the problems we have getting good representation of MR images? CT
images are looking good. ( Attached a screenshot. igstk application
to the left, osirix to the right. Window level 1011, window width:
2319 in both applications.)

Regards,

Torleif