[IGSTK-Users] Polaris tracker example and FLTK compilation problem under .NET 2003

Elvis Chen chene77 at hotmail.com
Sun May 14 17:02:34 EDT 2006

greetings,

I am encountering 2 problems with IGSTK currently, I seek your help:

1) I've got IGSTK release-7 compiled under linux with VTK-5.1/ITK-CVS
(2006-04-25).  Using the example code igstkPolarisTrackerTest.cxx, I wrote a
small polaris code to see if I can initialize the Polaris tracker and get a
pose information of a passive target.  The test code I have is basically the
same as igstkPolarisTrackerTest.cxx, but without the logger and other things
I don't really need.

I used the following line to associate a passive ROM file to the polaris:

tracker->AttachSROMFileNameToPort( port, "TA104.rom" );

things I discovered are:

a) the port number has to be greater than 2.  If I use port number 0,1, or
2, the tracker won't see the target.
b) using port number greater then 2, the tracker can see the target, but all
the transformation I get back (position/rotation) are zero.

I've searched the documentation on the igstk.org and looked through the
example codes.  What I'm not clear about is exactly what does a trackerTool
class does?  In the igstkPolarisTrackerTest.cpp, a "tool" of type
PolarisTrackerTool is created but it isn't been used with anything.  Can
anyone clearify if I need a trackerTool to obtain the transformation of the
target?

2) I've spent countless hours in trying to compile IGSTK under Windows XP
with .NET 2003.  VTK/ITK (the same source as my linux) compiled fine, but
FLTK refused to.  It actually compiled all the source files into object
files but refused to work under the linking stage.  According to fltk.org
this is due to a bad .sln (solution file for .net) on their part, and no fix
was given.  I've tried several fltk versions from fltk.org but all end up
with the same problem.

I used cmake to configure the fltk source code and then load the solution
file in .net 2003/VC7 to compile.

Has anyone got fltk/IGSTK to compile with .NET 2003/VC7?

any help is very much appreciated,