[IGSTK-Developers] Coordinate System questions

Kevin Gary kgary at asu.edu
Fri Oct 10 17:42:36 EDT 2008

Hi Matt,

My student is working on the scene graph visualization tool. We are trying to
introduce a central "manager" singleton that is aware of each time a
child-parent relationship is constructed (or destructed) in the graph, and
trying to do so without having to change existing IGSTK code. To us, the best
way to do that is to observe a CoordinateSystem for events indicating when
"RequestSetTransformAndParent" or "RequestDetachFromParent" have been called.

This would seem simple, but we have spent a while tracing through all the
various macros and the CoordinateSystemDelegator (why does this exist?) and have
a couple of questions -

1. Should we even try to observe a CoordinateSystem directly or its Delegator?
2. Why doesn't the Delegator use
igstkCoordinateSystemClassInterfaceConstructorMacro() like the 4 object types
that have Coordinate Systems?
3. It appears the Delegator observes itself? We admit some confusion as to why
there is the ObserverCallback with a self reference that moves an event along.

But basically, our main question is to whether to insert a line at the end of
CoordinateSystem::SetTransformAndParent to generate an event (it doesn't now),
or whether to add it to the delegator somewhere in the midst of all the
AddObserver stuff?

Thanks,
K2

--