[IGSTK-Developers] Multi-frame single-file DICOMs

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Wed Mar 15 12:23:50 EST 2006

I found the draft DICOM standard for 3D/4D ultrasound.  The latest draft
is dated October 2003.
I don't know if the Philips 4D machine follows this draft standard, or
how close this draft standard
is to being finalized.
ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/supps/sup43_07.pdf

Here is quote from the draft document:

  The existing ultrasound standard is a 2D image standard, and cannot
represent the 3D and 4D
  image data that ultrasound imaging devices now create. These new
modalities need the ND
  (multi-dimensional) framework of Supplement 63. This Supplement
introduces a new SOP
  Classes to store 3D/4D ultrasound instances.

The DICOM "Supplement 63: Multi-Dimensional Interchange" document is
collection of suggestions
on how DICOM could be extended to support multi-dimensional data:
ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/supps/sup63_pc.pdf

Here is a quote from Supplement 63:

  This Supplement introduces a new IE for to represent multi-dimensional
data of any clinical specialty,
  modality, or post-processing application. This IE supports the
following features:
   -  Supports and extends the multi-frame encoding approach for
viewable image data.
   -  Encoding medical imaging data with spatial, temporal, acquisition
and channel (property) dimensions,
      in a modality independent way.
   -  Generic exchange of ND data (any modality)
   -  Volumetric representation of tissue classified segmentations
(binary or probabilistic) -- i.e. as bit maps
       rather than boundary representations
   -  Non-uniform sampling rates such as those used in triggered
acquisition or other acquisition protocols

How is this relevant to IGSTK?  Well, it shows that 3D ultrasound DICOM
files are part of a
proposed "next generation" multi-frame DICOM file standard.  If we want
IGSTK to support
3D ultrasound, it looks like we would need to add a new DICOM reader
with a new state
machine that supports 3D multi-frame DICOM files.

 - David