[IGSTK-Developers] Loopback test

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Mar 10 18:09:22 EST 2006

Hi Patrick,

Here is the wiring that I'm using in
the Loopback device installed in Zion:

a)  1====4====6
b)  2====3
c)  7====8

This looks the same as the one that you posted
in your email.

In  Linux we tested the device by just opening
two terminals and doing:

      a)   cat  /dev/ttyS0  (in one terminal)
      b)   ls -R  /  > /dev/ttyS0  (on the other terminal)

You should see text appearing in the first terminal.

Notice that since the serial port is buffered, you may
not see any output if you just send a couple of words.
You may have to send more that some Kb of text to make
sure that the serial port buffer if flushed and you
actually see something in the other side.

This being said. The IGSTK test is failing in Zion,
and we have never been able to connect to the Polaris
from the Linux machine.

I just tested the same device on my Windows laptop,
using the Hyperterminal test that you posted, and it
works fine for me. That is, when the loopback device
is connected, I see the text that I'm typing, and
when the device is remove, I don't see the text that
I'm typing.

Did you selected "Flow control" to "None"  ??

    Luis