[IGSTK-Developers] Licensing

Stephen R. Aylward Stephen.Aylward at Kitware.com
Sat Jan 21 10:41:37 EST 2006

Dear Trolltech,

We have three questions concerning your licensing.

Background

I am president of a non-profit consortium that promotes open-source
software for medical image analysis.  Our website is
http://www.InsightSoftwareConsortium.org
An introduction to our mission is available as a presentation in our
freely available journal.  The presentation is archived at
https://caddlab.rad.unc.edu/MIDAS/bitstream/1926/161/21/1-ISC-OpenSource.ppt
The journal is available at
http://www.insight-journal.org

Our projects follow a BSD-style license for open-source.  In particular,
our libraries can be freely downloaded, modified, used, or redistributed
for open-source OR commercial endeavors, without any compensation coming
to us or our developers.   Our developers span the globe and are
volunteers - that is, they are not paid for their contributions to the
toolkits, and they come from academia and industry in over 30 countries.
  For the record, my position as president is also unpaid.
Nevertheless, by using BSD-style licensing we have receive outstanding
community support for our efforts.  The best example of our success is
the Insight toolkit, www.itk.org, for medical image analysis.   It has
become the standard tool for 3D medical image analysis research in
academia and industry.  It has spawned several popular open-source
development tools such as cmake (www.cmake.org).

The Issue

People are asking us to provide routines that support the integration of
our libraries with QT.   Since documentation is extremely important in
open-source efforts, we would also need to demonstrate the use of those
routines by providing example applications.  However, we are concerned
that developing and distributing QT routines and demonstration
applications would change the entire licensing terms for our toolkits
and would require the purchase of QT commercial licenses for some or
possibly all of our volunteer developers.

The Questions

1)  If we included QT routines and demos in our libraries then could all
non-QT components in the library remain BSD licensed?  For example, a
user of our libraries would only need to attain a QT commercial license
if they intended to use the QT-specific routines and demos for a
commercial product; while the commercial use of the non-QT components in
the library would be available under BSD licensing and available for
commercial use without compensation.

2) If the answer to the above question is Yes, then may we develop,
include, modify, and distribute QT-based library routines and
demonstration applications with our libraries without acquiring QT
commercial licenses for our volunteer contributors in academia and
industry?   For example, groups (in academia and industry) receive
grants from the US government (typically the National Institute of
Health) to conduct research and development, and those groups
occasionally use our toolkits.  Do you consider US government grant
funded research and development that does not specifically produce a
commercial product, and that instead contributes to a BSD project or
generates a scientific publication, to be a commercial endeavor?

As a non-profit organization releasing code for medical use, we are
extremely concerned about liability lawsuits and licensing.   However,
we feel that our efforts are worth the risk, because we strongly believe
that science is best advanced when data and methods can be shared.
compared, extended, and used.   We hope that we will be able to work
with you and the outstanding QT product to continue to advance this
important field.

Thank you,
Stephen

Stephen R. Aylward, Ph.D.
President of The Insight Software Consortium
http://www.InsightSoftwareConsortium.org
Chief Medical Scientist at Kitware, Inc.
http://www.kitware.com