[IGSTK-Developers] GUI

David Gobbi dgobbi at atamai.com
Fri Jan 20 21:24:49 EST 2006

To follow up on my own message...  I think I painted too
negative a picture.

What we need to do with IGSTK is to make it GUI-independant,
the same way that VTK and ITK are GUI-independant.  Ideally,
the core of IGSTK should be completely free of FLTK code,
and FLTK should only be linked in at the application level.

With VTK, for example, all you have to do to get any GUI toolkit
to work is get the underlying pointer to the GUI window, and
pass that pointer to the vtkRenderWindow.  There are a couple
additional housekeeping details: making sure that your creates
a GUI window with an OpenGL drawable, making sure that Render is
called when necessary, and making sure the VTK is notified when
the window is resized, but I've been getting VTK to work with
Qt and wxWindows in this way since years ago.  For IGSTK, we
should use the same sort of a method and document how its done,
and then leave it up to the third-party developers to connect
IGSTK to whatever GUI toolkit they choose.

 - David