[Girder-users] Setting up proxied Girder with Docker Container

John Roberts John.Roberts at hsc.utah.edu
Thu Feb 2 18:25:40 EST 2017

     I'd like to set up a proxied Girder as detailed in the manual here
<https://girder.readthedocs.io/en/v1.5.2/deploy.html?highlight=root>. We
need to configure girder so that it understands it is not working from
the root directory of the Apache server but one directory down
(/girder).  Unlike the situation in the documentation, I'm working with
the Docker girder.

     If I rather blindly edit the girder.local.cfg file within the
running container, the container crashes as soon as I save the file.
This may have been due to a typo, but I have a further question.

     Assuming I did update girder.local.cfg properly as indicated, the
instructions then say to rebuild Girder using "npm install". It's my
impression that this will likely crash the girder container itself,
since the current girder process will likely be terminated while the new
build is being compiled with npm.  Would that be a correct assumption?

     The question is how to configure Girder within the container to
invoke the proxy and move the address space one step down from root at /
to a proxied address /girder.  A more general question might be how to
update girder.local.cfg when running Girder with Docker.

     I tried running the Docker girder:girder image and entering by way
of an alternative entry-point,

docker run -it --entrypoint=/bin/bash girder/girder -s

This lets me in and I can edit the girder.local.cfg file.  However, "npm
install" then appears to fail with the warning "cannot run in wd
girder at 1.5.2 grunt init && grunt (wd=/girder)".  Since I don't know what
"npm install" was supposed to accomplish, I'm not sure where to look to
see if it succeeded despite the warning.

Thanks for suggestions,
John.