[Girder-users] Mixed asset stores and data migration

John Roberts John.Roberts at hsc.utah.edu
Mon Aug 7 18:00:59 EDT 2017

     I'm interested in possibly moving the contents of an existing
Filesystem assetstore into a GridFS assetstore within the same Girder
server.

     In the admin panel, it appears I could create additional
assetstores.  Presumably, only one of them could be made "current" to
capture subsequent file uploads.

     How would I migrate all the files from the filesystem assetstore
into the GridFS store?

     Would I have to run the girder_client recursively against the
existing files on Girder, download them and "re" upload them into Girder
(hopefully now into the "current" GridFS assetstore)?

  * Would either girder_client or Girder itself say, "hey, that file is
    already here!  We'll save you time and skip your upload!"
  * This strikes me as similar to migrating between two girder
    instances, so would I have to be careful to make sure I copied meta
    data as well during the recursion?

     Or is it likely I'll need to run a separate Girder/Mongo instance
with GridFS in place and do a complete migration to the new pair?

     As motivation for this exercise, we're considering running a
girder/mongo pair within a docker overlay network where the mongo would
reside on a server with lots of storage and the girder would reside on a
server with lots of compute power.

Thanks,
John.