[Girder-users] Upgrading Girder and Girder Version

Brian E Chapman Brian.Chapman at utah.edu
Wed Jan 27 12:53:11 EST 2016

Hi Everyone,

I’ve got a version of Girder running in a Docker container that I built several months ago using girder:latest. MongoDB is running in a separate linked Docker container. Three questions:

  1.  I cannot see what version of Girder I’m running, either through the web interface or within the container (using pip freeze or importing girder and looking for the _version__ attribute. How do I determine the version of girder I’m running.
  2.  What is the appropriate way to upgrade girder? I don’t see anything on the admin page that indicates how to upgrade (e.g. Like in Midas). I’m tempted to create a new docker container. What data are actually stored in the docker container vs MongoDB? Just the log files?
  3.  I turned on the thumbnail generation plugin (version 0.1.0). When I went to generate a thumbnail, I get a PIL not installed message. When I connect to the container and try to install PIL I get a "jpeg is required unless explicitly disabled…” Has the container been tested with all the PlugIns? Curious of how much back tracking I need to do with the installation.

Brian