[Ctk-developers] Feedback and questions about DataManagement libraries within CTK

Sascha Zelzer s.zelzer at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Oct 18 10:30:04 EDT 2011

Hi Everybody,

Sorry for my late comments, I could not make it before Monday.

> * On medium/long term, I envisioned:
>    - to have an abstracted layer that would provide us with a way to
> download/upload/browse data available on either a DICOM Pacs, a Midas
> server, a XNAT server, a FTP server, etc ...  The user would basically
> input a URI and associated with the appropriate ServerType.
>   - that ServerType would corresponds to a plugin providing a specific
> implementation
>   - that an appropriate level of abstraction could be reached
> especially considering the fact that data are "just blob" with
> associated meta data.
>   - to possibly move DICOM code into, for example, Libs/DataManagement ?

While the idea of a general interface for data management is very
intriguing, I tend to agree with Steve here. IMHO, it is the meta data
associated with each "data blob" which is the hard part. For the
interface to be useable, it would need to know how to serve this meta
data in a useful way to its clients. I am afraid that the intersection
of meaningful common meta data is close to being empty... but like
Steve, I'd be happy to further discuss any design ideas.

> * This *coming Monday*, within Kitware we will do a *one-day hackfest*
> to consolidate this library. To move in the appropriate direction, I
> am seeking your input to help addressing the following questions:
>
>   1) What are your thought regarding the "medium/long term goal" I
> mentioned above ?
>
>   2) As of today, does it make sens to add a library named
> DataManagement/MidasClient into CTK ?

I guess the last point has been answered already.

Best,

Sascha