[Ctk-developers] Feedback and questions about DataManagement libraries within CTK

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Fri Oct 14 12:19:07 EDT 2011

Hi Folks,

Three month ago, I already talked about possibly adding a DataManagement
library into CTK.

The aim of that library would be to provide an abstraction for application
willing to download / upload / browse data available on remote location.

As expressed earlier, we don't want CTK to become a *"Zoo of libraries with
inconsistent** 'Look and Feel*'" [1]. This is something we are considering
carefully. You will find below some background facts and questions.

* Zach from Kitware has been working a topic branch where he pushed its
work: https://github.com/zachmullen/CTK/commits/add-midascpp-library

* The MIDAS team is actively developing an application named "MIDASDesktop"
[2] that depends on CTK, and by extension, also depends on
CTKDataManagementMidasClient{Core, Widget} libraries.

* CTKDataManagementMidasClient{Core, Widget} libraries do not depend on
CTKCore or CTKWidgets

* On medium/long term, I envisioned:
   - to have an abstracted layer that would provide us with a way to
download/upload/browse data available on either a DICOM Pacs, a Midas
server, a XNAT server, a FTP server, etc ...  The user would basically input
a URI and associated with the appropriate ServerType.
  - that ServerType would corresponds to a plugin providing a specific
implementation
  - that an appropriate level of abstraction could be reached especially
considering the fact that data are "just blob" with associated meta data.
  - to possibly move DICOM code into, for example, Libs/DataManagement ?

* This *coming Monday*, within Kitware we will do a *one-day hackfest* to
consolidate this library. To move in the appropriate direction, I am seeking
your input to help addressing the following questions:

  1) What are your thought regarding the "medium/long term goal" I mentioned
above ?

  2) As of today, does it make sens to add a library named
DataManagement/MidasClient into CTK ?

This coming Monday, ...

... if we agree on including such library into CTK: I will work on reviewing
the library to make sure it meets our standards and coding style

... If we do NOT reach consensus:I will create a separate project that would
be hosted on Midas organization.

Thanks for your input,
Jc

Ps: If you reply to that email, make sure to use "reply to all" so that
Patrick and Zach stay included in this email thread.

[1] http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/ctk-developers/2011-June/000615.html
[2] http://www.kitware.com/midaswiki/index.php/MIDASDesktop

--
+1 919 869 8849