[Ctk-developers] External projects in commontk github organization

Marco Nolden m.nolden at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Jun 7 11:21:15 EDT 2011

SQLite is included in the Qt distribution, you can build it integrated
or as a plugin [1]. This is already used in the CTK DICOM classes.

Marco

[1] http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/sql-driver.html#qsqlite

On 06/07/2011 04:08 PM, Sascha Zelzer wrote:
> Of course Qt depends on a native sqlite implementation, but it provides
> a library which is database-backend independent:
>
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/qtsql.html
>
> It uses Qt plugins for delegating the calls to specific RDBMS
> implementations.
>
> Best,
> Sascha
>
> On 06/07/2011 03:32 PM, Zach Mullen wrote:
>> The MIDAScpp library linked against kwsys/expat/curl because
>> originally it did not depend on Qt.  In the future, we could remove
>> these dependencies; it would just require a lot of rewriting to use
>> the Qt capabilities instead.  Sqlite will have to stay as a dependency
>> since Qt doesn't have any RDBMS capabilities.
>>
>> -Zach
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
>> <jchris.fillionr at kitware.com <mailto:jchris.fillionr at kitware.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Sasha,
>>
>>     You bring a very good point !
>>
>>     The work related to these projects has just been published and is
>>     open to review.
>>     See
>>     https://github.com/zachmullen/CTK/commit/1051813f5046bb08835b73a12138a672c9c48c82
>>
>>     Expat, KWSys, Sqlite and libcurl were initially shipped with
>>     MIDAScpp library ... I advocates to externalize and CMake-ifie
>>     properly these libraries as a first step. That way the code
>>     checked in CTK would "really" corresponds to the library itself.
>>
>>     Having an other perspective is always fruitful :)  You are right,
>>     since MIDAScpp would be part of CTK, it makes sens to not depend
>>     on these external project and rely on Qt directly. Qt is a
>>     mandatory dependency after all.
>>
>>     I am cc'ing Zach in the email and I am sure I will be able to
>>     provide more comments.
>>
>>     Zach> Instead of using expat, libcurl, sqlite and kwsys, would it
>>     make sens to depends on Qt ?
>>
>>     In the mean time, I have the following questions:
>>
>>      - Currently the library is named "CTKMIDAScppCore" and
>>     CTKMIDAScppWidgets", I was thinking we could have something like
>>     CTKDataManagementMIDAScppCore and CTKDataManagementMIDAScppWidgets.
>>     What do you think ? Doing so would leave room to library like
>>     "CTKDataManagementHadoopCore" ...
>>
>>      - Does introducing a "DataManagement" hierachy of libraries make
>>     sens ? As far as I am concerned, I think it's important to provide
>>     both functionality to process, store and retrieve the data.
>>
>>     Thanks
>>     Jc
>>

>>     On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Sascha Zelzer
>>     <s.zelzer at dkfz-heidelberg.de <mailto:s.zelzer at dkfz-heidelberg.de>>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>         Hi guys,
>>
>>         Recently, I observed an explosion in the number of
>>         repositories containing external repositories in the CommonTK
>>         organization of github. Could we discuss the need of some of
>>         them, and maybe have these discussions in the future in
>>         advance of pushing those projects?

> [...]

Dipl.-Inform. Med. Marco Nolden
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum       (German Cancer Research Center)
Div. Medical & Biological Informatics          Tel: (+49) 6221-42 2325
Im Neuenheimer Feld 280                        Fax: (+49) 6221-42 2345
D-69120 Heidelberg                             eMail: M.Nolden at dkfz.de