[Ctk-developers] CTK Update to latest DCMTK

OFFIS DICOM Team dicom at offis.de
Mon Aug 1 13:00:13 EDT 2011

Hi,

Am 01.08.2011 18:25, schrieb Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin:
> Regarding MT and /MTd, would it make sens to have a CMake option named
> DCMTK_MULTITHREADED ?

If CMake automatically uses the flags it should and hands it over to all
external projects, this would be not needed. However, I'm not sure whether
this is actually the case.

We already have a WITH_THREADS flag in DCMTK which adds libpthread if
existing/necessary. Usually, with threads is turned on.

> Yes, and totally my fault ;)
>

> No prob :) Seems we identify and are on the good track to get the problem
> fixed.

Yes, I hope so :)

> DCMTK build by CTK is/was broken. The flag fPIC was not added
> automatically ...

Yes, ok; as I understood this is needed when linking against the shared
DCMTK libraries from outside.

> * Get write access to official dcmtk ? * Ask dcmtk folks to mirror DCMTK
> on github so that we can fork and easily contribute patches ? * Mirror
> DCMTK ourself on commontk/dcmtk
>

> I would not be happy about any of these. Let's get things running on all
> platforms now; I will do my part as good as possible and with priority.
> Then we can take a fixed commit and update that from time to time in CTK.
> We can do that regulary, as you like, or as I can give you a hint if
> interesting features (for CTK) come in.
>

> I guess submitting patch to Offis directly seems to be the way to go. We
>  could also publish our topic branch on commontk/DCMTK to that you can
> review them before final integration upstream.

Fine for me. My point is just that we should not let drift apart CTK too
much from the latest DCMTK version. Otherwise (like now..;)) it is double
work to align things again :)

> Assigned issue https://github.com/commontk/__CTK/issues/22
> <https://github.com/commontk/CTK/issues/22> to Michael
>
> In the mean time, I will update CMakeExternal/DCMTK.cmake so that fPIC is
> passed.
>

> Shouldn't we not just change DCMTK's CMakeLists.txt? We need these flags
> anyway sooner or later, so we should also take it over. I would just take
> over the solution from the link (issues/22) into DCMTK's CMakeLists.txt.
>

> Very true - i didn't know how responsive you would be. Do you know when
> things will be fixed?

I could commit it any time/immediately in DCMTK. My colleague noted that we
should take care that we only put -fPIC into effect if it is understood by
the compiler and needed, so I wonder whether "IF(UNIX" is a sufficient
guard. Any hints or recommendations?

Best regards,
Michael

--
OFFIS DICOM Team, Escherweg 2, 26121 Oldenburg, Germany
E-Mail: dicom at offis.de, URL: http://dicom.offis.de