[Ctk-developers] COPYRIGHT & LICENSING

Tarbox, Lawrence tarboxl at mir.wustl.edu
Fri Apr 9 14:51:32 EDT 2010

The Apache license is fine with me.  It is what I would have recommended.

As to copyright, certainly one should be in place in the source code.  But if the Apache license notice is in place, it should not matter much who holds the copyright, since the Apache license grants anyone the right to do what we are doing.

Certain software that might be contributed might already have a copyright and might already be distributed under alternate license terms.  As long as the license terms are compatible with Apache, I would not think that there is a need to change the original copyright or license terms.

Compatible, for us, implies that we are allowed to redistribute a combined package as a new work with its own licensing terms (e.g. Apache), as long as the licensing terms of the contributed bits can still be fulfilled (e.g. attribution).

At least that is my humble opinion.  However, I am not a lawyer, hence my opinion has no standing in a court of law.