[ITK] [ITK-users] Estimation of initial rotation for Euler3DTransform

Timothee Evain tevain at telecom-paristech.fr
Mon Jun 6 05:23:07 EDT 2016

Hi Sharmin,

If your are able to know which point of dataset 1 correspond to each point of dataset 2 (e.g. the point [-1.158 -9.962 -7.944] should match the point [70.3771 16.9556 -77.8874] after registration), then your problem is the one of Absolute Orientation. You could find the exact rotation solving this problem.
You could refer to the Horn method (http://people.csail.mit.edu/bkph/papers/Absolute_Orientation.pdf) or the paper of Besl and McKay which introduce the ICP (http://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs164-09-spring/Handouts/paper_icp.pdf) to know how to do it. They are using quaternion for the rotation, but you could retrieve the rotation matrix from it, hence the euler angles (if you know the sequence of rotation, ITK's one is Z->Y->X if I remember correctly). Or you could go with the itkVersorRigid3DTransform.

If you're unable to know the correspondence, you could maybe do a PCA to find principal directions (at least 2) of each curve, take a point in each direction plus the centroid, and resolve the Absolute Orientation with them (you need at least 3 points). But I've never tried it.

HTH,

Tim