[Cmb-users] Visualize aux_geom in Model Builder

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Thu Jul 20 14:40:25 EDT 2017

Hi Haocheng,

>> Well, it's suspicious that the dashboards show tests passing and yet their superbuilds do not work for you. I would check for old libraries and LD_LIBRARY_PATH settings on Linux.
>>
> I found one interesting thing: Dashboard aux_geoms tests are trying to use add image operator to load  CHesapeakeBay100x100.vti and NewRiver1M.dem. That's the reason why they are rendered properly and these tests pass.
> If I use add auxiliary geometry operator to load them then things would go south.

As well they should; we have a separate operator for image data. It specifically requests that the entities it creates have their own separate representation, which is required for texture mapping to work.

> So my guess is that the _instance_entitie support breaks something in smtk that we never covered...

When I talked to Bob while implementing the instance support, he agreed that polydata and other non-image geometry should *not* have a separate PV representation by default. That is also required for instance support to work. We need a way for users to be able to load auxiliary geometry to be instanced and that is what "Add Auxiliary Geometry" is for. If you are loading image data, then you should use "Add Image".

	David