[CMake] The connection to cmake-server was terminated unexpectedly [cms-client] cmake-server exited with status null (SIGSEGV)

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Wed Sep 4 18:21:25 EDT 2019

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 7:56 AM Christopher Dawes <
christopher.dawes at eftlab.com> wrote:

> Awesome thank you so much! So i’ve upgraded to 3.15.3 and it’s told me
> perfectly my issue. So I have an override script (FindLibXml2.cmake):
>
> *************************** START CODE ***************************
> # FindLibXml2.cmake
> #
> # A wrapper around CMake's FindLibXml2 which provides an imported target.
>
> # Find LibXml2 using the built-in module
> set(_cmake_module_path "${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH}")
> set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH)
> include(FindLibXml2)
> set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH "${_cmake_module_path}")
>
> if(LibXml2_FOUND AND NOT TARGET LibXml2::LibXml2)
>   add_library(LibXml2::LibXml2 INTERFACE IMPORTED)
>   set_target_properties(LibXml2::LibXml2 PROPERTIES
>     INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES "${LIBXML2_LIBRARIES}"
>     INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES "${LIBXML2_INCLUDE_DIR}")
> else()
>   #https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/6186
>   if(APPLE)
>     get_target_property(id LibXml2::LibXml2 INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES)
>     list(REMOVE_ITEM id "/usr/include/libxml2")
>     set_target_properties(LibXml2::LibXml2 PROPERTIES
> INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES "${id}")
>   endif()
> endif()
>
> *************************** END CODE ***************************
>
> So the issue was:
>   set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH)
>
> doesn’t work in cmake-server; also unset(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH) didn’t work
> either, when i do:
>
> set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH “/nonexistent”)
>
> it all comes good; for some reason i think unset isn’t quite happy on
> cmake-server.

Check that you don't also have a CMAKE_MODULE_PATH cache variable as well.
If you unset the non-cache variable, it will effectively unmask the cache
variable of the same name.

> Many thanks again for your quick response!
>
> *Christopher Dawes*
> *Principal Architect, EFTLab*
>
> *M:* +44 (0)7899 842 759
> *E:* christopher.dawes at eftlab.com
> *A:* 109 Brighton Road, Sandgate, QLD 4017
>
> *IMPORTANT NOTICE*
> the addressee(s). E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
> error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
> arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. EFTlab Pty Ltd cannot accept
> liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message,
> which may arise as a result of e-mail transmission. Please note that EFTlab
> Pty Ltd may monitor, analyse and archive email traffic, data and the
> content of email for the purposes of security, legal compliance and staff
> training. If you have received this email in error please notify us at
> support at eftlab.com.au.
>
> On 4 Sep 2019, at 19:39, Kyle Edwards via CMake <cmake at cmake.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2019-09-04 at 14:12 -0400, fdk17 wrote:
>
> https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-cmake-tools/issues/752 states
> that it ran out of stack and the log shows what looks like to be
> involved with a recursive loop in some CMakeLists.txt.  A call depth
> of 27491 seems a bit excessive.
>
> After the second call to FindPackage it just seems to be doing the
> same thing over and over again.
> I'd think a newer version of CMake would complain about too much
> recursion in the project files.
>

> Indeed, this was added in 3.14:
>
> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.14/variable/CMAKE_MAXIMUM_RECURSION_DEP
> TH.html
> Kyle
> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia
https://crascit.com

Get the hand-book for every CMake user: Professional CMake: A Practical
Guide <https://crascit.com/professional-cmake/>