[CMake] target_sources vs. PUBLIC_HEADER for libraries

Fred Baksik fdk17 at ftml.net
Fri Oct 11 16:37:13 EDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Michael Ellery wrote:
> I’d like to make sure I understand two different aspects of header files management for libraries:
>
> (1) typically you can add header files to target_sources, but it’s only helpful for IDEs..so that the IDE will show the header files in its sources list, correct?. In theory, cmake does not actually need header files explicitly specified for dependency tracking, although I guess listing them makes it explicit.
My experience has been that adding a header file makes sure it’s listed in the IDE along with the other sources. Some IDEs will determine other non-listed headers and list them under a different folder. But I’ve never seen listing an unused header file getting added as a dependency so that changing it causes the target to get rebuilt. I’ve always had to make sure that the header is included in something that gets compiled.

—