[CMake] cmake end user vs. developer rpath handling

DIXON, MARK C. mark.c.dixon at durham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 9 11:48:32 EDT 2019

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019, Craig Scott wrote:
>>> Is there a way to reliably add to, or at least override, the developer's
>>> rpath in any cmake-built software?
>>
>> Short of editing the build system scripts? I doubt...
>
> The CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH variable is used to initialise the INSTALL_RPATH
> property of a target when that target is created. If you are pulling in
> these other projects via add_subdirectory() rather than building them
> standalone, you could modify the INSTALL_RPATH property of the targets you
> want to change from within your own top level project after
> add_subdirectory() returns.

Thanks for this. My knowledge of cmake is pretty poor - I assume it uses
the same definition of target as make. So you're saying I'd need to know
the project's interesting targets first.

My choices are: maintain a patch to the software's build system files or
maintain a patch to encaspulate the software's build system files and
drive with a config file. Right?

Thanks,

Mark