[CMake] Using generator expression with add_library

Petr Kmoch petr.kmoch at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 06:44:54 EST 2019

Hi.

The argument STATIC or SHARED is processed at CMake configure time (that
is, when CMake is executing the add_library() command). However, generator
expressions are only evaluated at generate time, which comes only after all
CMake code is processed.

Fortunately for you, compiler ID is something that is already known at
configure time, meaning you don't need to use a genex to read it. You can
just do this:

if(MSVC)
  set(LibType STATIC)
else()
  set(LibType SHARED)
endif()
add_library(
  ${_star_lib_name}
  ${LibType}
)

(Feel free to modify the if(), use CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER_ID (
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/variable/CMAKE_LANG_COMPILER_ID.html)
etc. as necessary).

Petr