[CMake] Embedded build using ExternalProject

Eric Doenges doenges at mvtec.com
Thu Jun 27 07:06:36 EDT 2019

Am 26.06.19 um 15:53 schrieb Torsten Robitzki:
> A third issue that I have is, that changes to the CMakeLists.txt files in the Project are not reflected by the super build. If I make a change to one of the CMake files under ${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR}/source, I usually have to delete the whole build folder and start from scratch with the build. Is there an other way to force the super build to recognize the changes? (Note: ${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR}/source is not added as subdirectory to the top level (super build) CMakeLists.txt).

I can't help you with your other issues, but I believe the solution to
this problem is to specify "BUILD_ALWAYS TRUE" in your
ExternalProject_Add. From the documentation for ExternalProject_Add:

Enabling this option forces the build step to always be run. This can be
the easiest way to robustly ensure that the external project’s own build
dependencies are evaluated rather than relying on the default success
timestamp-based method. This option is not normally needed unless
developers are expected to modify something the external project’s build
depends on in a way that is not detectable via the step target
dependencies (e.g. |SOURCE_DIR| is used without a download method and
developers might modify the sources in |SOURCE_DIR|).

--

*Dr. Eric Dönges *
Senior Software Engineer

MVTec Software GmbH | Arnulfstr. 205 | 80634 Munich | Germany
doenges at mvtec.com <mailto:doenges at mvtec.com> | Tel: +49 89 457 695-0 |
www.mvtec.com <http://www.mvtec.com>

Sign up <http://www.mvtec.com/newsletter> for our MVTec Newsletter!

Geschäftsführer: Dr. Wolfgang Eckstein, Dr. Olaf Munkelt
Amtsgericht München HRB 114695

MVTec Software GmbH Logo