[CMake] Linking on OSX

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 4 17:36:27 EDT 2019

On Jun 4, 2019, at 2:27 PM, Bryan Christ <bryan.christ at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation.  Yes.  The use of the term Library certainly added to my confusion.  I've been coding on Linux for 20 and the "proper" way of doing things on Mac is a bit elusive to me as I stumble around.

Yeah, it must be weird going from a system that stuffs libraries in /usr/lib64 to a system that stuffs them in /usr/lib. :-)

(There's no need to put 32-bit and 64-bit libraries in separate directories if you can put the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of a library in the same file, as you can in Darwin.

But the real point is that every UN*X has its own quirks, and somebody might find the UN*X with which you're most familiar to be the quirky one.  If you're going to do cross-platform UN*X programming, be prepared to have assumptions about UN*X, made based on the platform or platforms with which you're familiar, to be violated by some other UN*X.)