[CMake] Linking on OSX

Bryan Christ bryan.christ at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 16:33:53 EDT 2019

Guy,

I would agree with you, but I've been told that OSX is moving away from
it's Unix heritage and placing libraries in non-traditional locations (not
/usr or /usr/local) and that's going to be increasingly the norm in the
future.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/337940/why-is-usr-include-missing-i-have-xcode-and-command-line-tools-installed-moja

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 3:24 PM Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2019, at 3:27 PM, Juan E. Sanchez <juan.e.sanchez at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It looks like macOS made it so you have to do something like this:
> > open
> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg
> >
> > for libraries and includes to be put into /usr.
>
> *Libraries* should exist in /usr/lib regardless of whether you do that, or
> even whether you have Xcode, or the command-line developer tools, installed
> - if you don't have the shared libraries in /usr/lib, programs using the
> libraries won't work, and programs shipped with macOS use, at minimum,
> libSystem, and may use other libraries.  vi, for example, uses the ncurses
> library.
>
> It's the *headers* that aren't installed in /usr/include by default.  The
> compiler *should* look in the directory where they're installed, however.
>
> Note that macOS 10.15 Catalina apparently has a separate read-only volume
> that contains all the executables and libraries, and presumably including
> /usr, so it may be *impossible* to arrange, on 10.15, that there be a
> /usr/include directory.
> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Bryan