[CMake] Shortcomings with exporting and importing targets

Robert Maynard robert.maynard at kitware.com
Thu Jul 25 10:48:35 EDT 2019

target_link_libraries() when given an explicit path+filename as PUBLIC
( not PRIVATE ) will be part of the transitive dependencies. An
explicit path+filename is not a target to CMake, nor will CMake
compute that it maps to an existing target ( be it imported or a
'normal' target ).

> This makes me think that install(TARGETS ...) not supporting imported targets is likely an oversight by the CMake developers

When exporting targets CMake exports what import targets something it
depends on. So if you have target_link_libraries(my_target PUBLIC
ZLIB::ZLIB) CMake when exporting my_target will export it depends on
ZLIB::ZLIB. It does this so that export information is machine
relocatable.
It is than up to each project to generate an Config module that does
the required find_package calls to re-locate ZLIB.