[CMake] add my own language-name using standard functions

J. Caleb Wherry calebwherry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 17:25:10 EDT 2019

Also, I would not suggest using the Java language support as reference as
it is not a first class supported language. As you said, it defines custom
functions and macros to do everything.

I would suggest you look at the C# support as it is a first class language
(meaning: you can add it to your project statement along with C and CXX or
use enable language). It is only supported for the Visual Studio Generator
but it should give you a lot better starting point than the Java stuff.

-Caleb

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 4:43 PM Kyle Edwards <kyle.edwards at kitware.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-07-19 at 21:30 +0100, hex wrote:
> > dear community,
> > I want to make a module for a language that is not supported by
> > CMake.
> > are there any restrictions in using add_executable for any language
> > other than C / C++,
> > must the build be constructed very similar to C language?
> > I was looking into Java module for reference and noted that it is
> > defining its own functions for build. Since overriding standard CMake
> > functions is discouraged and add_executable seems to be hard coded
> > (not a CMake module) I believe that I have to create my own functions
> > like add_verilog_configuration, target_link_verilog_library and
> > alike.
>
> All of the languages have different rules for building, linking, etc.
> and many of these rules are encoded in native C++ rather than in CMake
> script.
>
> If you would like to add Verilog support to CMake, please open an issue
> on GitLab so we can track the progress.
>
> Kyle
> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ