[CMake] [CMake 3.13.3] [MSBuild] Issue on configure/generate Visual Studio 2017 Project

Kail, Rajmund (GE Healthcare) Rajmund.Kail at ge.com
Tue Jan 15 05:09:54 EST 2019

Dear All,

I'm contacting you, because we are having issues with CMake a few days ago and it makes our daily work very difficult.

The problem is that CMake cannot configure and generate a Visual Studio solution from an existing C++ codebase. We are attempting to generate a Visual Studio 2017 64-bit solution.

As per the error message VCTargetsPath is not found, so MSBuild is crashing after a few seconds.

[cid:image002.png at 01D4ACC2.D50710F0]

I tried running MSBuild.exe in developer console, but it displays nothing at all. (The error code is 0x05).

[cid:image003.png at 01D4ACC2.D50710F0]

MSBuild.exe is executing in Powershell however.

[cid:image001.png at 01D4ACC2.953023E0]

My question is how could we overcome the above issue? Could you please give us some possible workarounds or what direction should we take in order to investigate?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance,

Best regards,

Rajmund Kail
C++ Software Engineer