[CMake] Using CMake as a package manager vs using a dedicated package management tool (like Conan)

Timothy Wrona tjwrona1992 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 20:45:53 EST 2019

I have been working on a new C++ project and I am trying to decide whether
I should use CMake as my package management system or if I should use a
dedicated package management tool such as Conan.

For more information on Conan see: https://conan.io/

I am trying to understand the main difference between using Conan to manage
dependencies vs using CMakes "FetchContent" module. Are there any
compelling reasons to prefer something like Conan?